6 Things You Should Know Before Getting Invisalign®
As a patient, learning more about the procedures and treatments you are interested in is worthwhile. It allows you to have a clear picture of what the treatment is about, and what you can anticipate from your experience.
When it comes to Invisalign®, it is not enough to go by the praises the treatment receives from people. You must learn for yourself what the treatment entails, and whether or not it is something you are willing to consider for your teeth.
What Is Invisalign?
It is a term used to refer to a type of teeth Aligners used in orthodontics. The dental aligners feature a plastic-like material that is made into a tray of braces that are used to realign jawbones and reposition teeth. Over the years, Invisalign in Culver City has amassed a lot of popularity because of the benefits it presents to patients.
Invisalign Beverly Hills have aligners very distinguishable from the traditional braces that feature metal brackets and wires. Without a proper understanding of what Invisalign aligners, you will be going into your treatment blindly.
6 Things You Need to Know About Invisalign
You are likely to learn from your peers that Invisalign is common braces for adults. They are more conservative as compared to traditional braces. Aside from that, the following as crucial things you must know about these aligners:
- They are removable – this is one fact that makes the invisible aligners very likable. They are not permanently attached to your teeth. Besides, you do not need the help of your dentist every time you want to remove them. This flexibility of removal makes it easy for you to enjoy any foods you want, without the worry of damaging your teeth aligners.
- You must wear them for up to 22 hours every day – while the flexibility to remove them is something to merry about, there is a catch to it. You need to wear clear aligners for between 20 to 22 hours every day. This means that you have to work with a few hours during the day for eating. It also means that you will need to wear your aligners even when you sleep. This is important so that the aligners can work effectively. The process of shifting teeth relies on the application of controlled pressure on your teeth, consistently over a certain period. By keeping them on for many hours, you allow your teeth to be gradually shifting. The beauty of it is that the aligners are comfortable to wear, making it easy for you to have them on even in bed.
- They are transparent – the reason they are called clear or invisible aligners is that they are made from a transparent material. This is also another crucial reason why teens are fond of Invisalign braces. They allow you to showcase your smile throughout your treatment, without anyone knowing that you have them.
- They stain easily – the clear aligners may be appealing to the eyes, but they also stain easily. This means that you must excel in your oral hygiene if you want the aligners to remain as inconspicuous as when you first got them.
- Changing them is the only way to adjust them – since the clear tray of aligners does not come with metal wires, they only way to adjust them is by changing them. Ideally, the first tray of clear aligners you got during the initial days of your treatment will not be the same one you retain throughout. This means that you will frequently visit your Invisalign dentist to get a new tray of clear aligners. Usually, you should do so every 6 weeks or so, depending on the treatment plan created for you.
- You must wear a retainer after treatment – once you realize your desired results, you must wear a retainer. This is an oral appliance that helps hold your teeth in place after your treatment. Ideally, teeth that have newly been repositioned are vulnerable and can shift back easily. It is why you need to wear a retainer after your treatment.